After the KAMRA Procedure – Things To Do
The recovery time for KAMRA is longer than with other procedures like LASIK or PRK. You can expect foggy vision for up to three months after procedure.
1. Rest Down Arrow
Resting or sleeping is the best remedy for any post-operative discomfort. Use the additional Valium that is provided, if necessary, and get some rest.
2. Use Your Eye Drops Down Arrow
Use Your Eye Drops
Start using your prescription eye drops as soon as you get up from your nap post-surgery. Please wait five minutes in between drops.
- Gatifloxaxin/Prednisolone Acetate Mix: Shake the bottle well. Place one drop, four times daily into the operated eye for one week following the procedure. Do not use these drops after the first week post-procedure (week two and beyond).
- Lotemax Gel Drop OR Fluoromethelone (FML): Shake the bottle well. Do not use these drops during the first week post procedure; however, in week two, three, and four you will need to place one drop, four times daily into the operated eye. In month two, reduce the number of drops to three times a day. In month three, reduce the number of drops again to two times per day.
- Artificial Tears: Some patients experience scratchiness or irritation with mild light sensitivity to the lids in the operated eye for the first several days. This is generally worse in the morning and improves as the day goes on. For sensitivity, we recommend Ibuprofen (Advil), in addition to frequent dosing of preservative-free lubricant teardrops (artificial tears). Artificial tears can be used as often as necessary to relieve the dry or scratchy sensation you may be experiencing post-surgery. Nonprescription, preservative-free lubrication drops may be instilled in the operated eye immediately after surgery and as often as needed. You will be using these preservative-free drops for several weeks. They are available over the counter and can be purchased at your local pharmacy.
3. Wear Your Goggles Down Arrow
Wear Your Goggles
The goggles are very important to your recovery from surgery. The eye must be protected, especially while you are asleep as you may attempt to rub your eyes due to discomfort. Wear the goggles for at least the first five nights after the surgery. You may wear them longer as needed.
After the KAMRA Procedure – Things NOT To Do
1. Do not rub or touch your eyes for one week after your procedure. Down Arrow
Do not rub or touch your eyes for one week after your procedure.
Patients can experience eyelid swelling, tenderness, and slight redness in the eyes for several days. No hard rubbing of the eyes should be done for four weeks following surgery.
2. Do not wear makeup on or around the eye, eyelid, or waterline for one week after surgery. Down Arrow
Do not wear makeup on or around the eye, eyelid, or waterline for one week after surgery.
3. Do not swim or sit in a hot tub for at least two weeks after your procedure. Down Arrow
Do not swim or sit in a hot tub for at least two weeks after your procedure.
However, other physical activities (biking, working out, etc.) may be resumed on the second day following the procedure. Do not expose yourself to high-risk activities that can result in a direct blow to the eyes, like an elbow to the face in basketball, for at least the first-month post-operation. If you participate in high-risk activities, always wear protective eyewear.
4. Heavy weightlifting over 45 lbs. is prohibited for 3-5 days post procedure. Down Arrow
Heavy weightlifting over 45 lbs. is prohibited for 3-5 days post procedure.
5. No smoking for one week after the procedure. Down Arrow
No smoking for one week after the procedure.
6. Avoid gardening or dusty environments for one week after your procedure. Down Arrow
Avoid gardening or dusty environments for one week after your procedure.